Thursday, February 9, 2012

and then there were two

We all know how completely terrified i was about having two kids, especially two kids so close together. Well, its been a week now, and we've survived. Preston spent a good part of Claire's first week either playing @ Grandma Kathy's or Grandma Webb's (THANK YOU a million times over!!) And since he's been home, into the mix of our new family of four, we are learning to take it one day at a time, scratch that, one minute at a time. Preston loves his baby sister, sometimes a little too much, but mostly just right. He often acts like he wants to hold her, and as we set her in his arms, he's ready to take off to the next mini-adventure. But, i tell you, if that little girl had a kiss-counter on her forehead, the number would be very very large, due to sweet preston kisses (which thankfully, have made a switch from wide open mouth kisses, to very soft, puckered up kisses).
There was a moment, on the first night we were home from the hospital, that i was putting Preston to bed, and as i was rocking him, i sobbed. and sobbed. (partly due to hormonal imbalance i'm sure) but also because here i was, rocking my baby, who still is my baby. I cried because i realized that this was going to be hard, very hard. Preston's still little, and needs me, or at least i like to think he does. And there we were, with another sweet baby, who also needs me very much. And for that moment, I was scared. Scared that Preston would feel neglected or that i would fail to give him the attention and time that he needs because i'll be busy with Claire too. And i'm still scared, and i certainly still know that its gonna be tough, but in a good challenging way, i think. Clearly i know i'm not the first mom on earth who has had babies close together, its a very possible feat, just one that will keep me on my toes. So, here we are one week down. And i think the thing i've learned most is that I am blessed. Blessed to be a mom to these two little angels. Blessed to have a challenge ahead of me that will keep me focused on my purpose and in tune with my Savior, who put it best when he said...."I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." Indeed it will be.


and now, i have two napping babies, and i'm wondering....Why am i still awake?

6 comments:

chaliese said...

I loved reading this post. I'm having my little girl soon and although they are not as close as your two cuties I have been so nervous!!! It got me excited and motivated that it will all be ok. It definetly is all worth it in the end:) your baby girl is adorable, congrats again!!

Jordan & Brooke Brady said...

Seriously...go to sleep! Just kidding. No but seriously. :) Your cute meag. The little ones are precious. I love the reaction of older siblings to a new baby. No matter how rowdy the child is, they always know to be soft (or try to be) around little babies. What smart kids. Anyway, congrats on little Claire!

Sammy said...

i sure hope you got a little nap in there while they were still sleeping! Oh my gosh they are both so sweet and beautiful! So happy you posted more pictures, oh they are so sweet. keep them coming! good luck, i know you are doing so great and will continue to be a great mom to these two, wish we lived closer to help! kiss those sweet babes for us

Nicole said...

Congratulations on the sweet new addition! I love the pictures of her and big brother, just think, she will always have a built in protector. He will take good care of her. I understand your feelings, my girls weren't that close in age, but I remember feeling the exact same way. Just scared that somehow I wasn't going to be enough. (I feel it now too with the impending arrival of the twinsies)You are so lucky and you have darling kidlets! Cheers and good luck!

Rebekah said...

oh my gosh! Claire is so beautiful, and looks just like you!! (lucky girl!) My kids are 21 months apart, and it is hard at first... but the most important thing is to definitely nap when they are both napping...but then again, that is why I haven't been on blogger since November! I am so glad I logged in today though, so i could see your new precious little pearl :)

love, Rebekah

p.s--sorry! if I was a better blogger I may have been able to catch you in the hospital again, lol!

Teandra said...

My sister has 3 kids under 3 and it is a challenge but also a huge blessing. Your kids are so cute!